Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 12, 4:50 pm MDT - Rocky Mountain High

Good afternoon everyone, we have now crossed into the state of Colorado. Since we last chatted, we had just left Yankton, S.D. We headed south to Norfolk, Neb., then hooked up with I 80 in Grand Island, Neb. and headed towards Colorado. Stopped at a truck stop somewhere in Nebraska and picked up some goodies to snack on.

Movie update. We watched The Guardian (sorry to admit), 3:10 to Yuma and now Mighty Ducks is on. I didn't watch any. I moved to the back of the bus and had a nice chat with some of the boys. Good times talking about baseball, life and much more. I then headed back to the front of the bus and I'm currently watching GoodFellas on my DVD. For some reason I've never seen the movie. I enjoy it. Love mob movies!

Our biggest decisions during the trip are where we'll be stopping to eat. We gained an hour (what a country) so we now an hour behind everyone in Marshall. We may now just head to Denver and then stop to eat.

Western Nebraska and eastern Colorado is not much too look at. I like the open spaces of the country. As always, this is a learning trip. These guys are in college and are always willing to learn. Just like I taught the basketball boys out east in Springfield, Mass., about Paul Revere running through the same streets that we were driving on, I’m now explaining how Lewis & Clark moved through this same area of country looking for a way to the Pacific Ocean (is that where they were going?). I’m not only a media relations guy, I’m also an educator.

Exciting times as we head towards Grand Junction. I’ve been with SMSU and Mustang baseball for 12 years. We’ve had some great teams, teams that were very close to making an NCAA regional tournament. 33 victories in 1998, winning the NSIC tournament in 1999 and 2002, but never could get in. I’ve covered hundreds and hundreds of games and put on thousands of hours of bus trips. But trips like this make it all worth it.

Not to get too sentimental, but it’s great to see our players come into the program, put in the hard work and get rewarded by making an NCAA tournament. This goes for all 11 SMSU athletic teams!

This year started out great in Florida, then we had 12 games canceled in late March and early April, then Coach Blanchard lost his father, but the month of April the team has played well and picked up big wins to gain an at-large bid. Great job boys!

I’ll have some pictures posted hopefully later tonight. It should be fun to drive through the Rocky Mountains. Let’s hope this is some sunlight left.

Take a look on the story on the Web site about game times. You’ll see a picture of the field we will play at. Great stadium and that’s what it is! 10,000 seat stadium. Grand Junction hosts the JUCO World Series every year. In fact, Coach Blanchard took his Normandale C.C. team to the World Series in Grand Junction in 1986. His brother also played at Mesa State.

One thing to point out, assistant coach Brandon Wilhelmi hasn’t seen a movie yet. I’m very proud that he is getting plenty of reading in. I think there are words in the magazines.

Until later tonight….Go Mustangs!

2 comments:

  1. Loft, you've taught me a ton...good to see you teaching those guys as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see someone could rise to the occasion. I had money that it would be Schlic-town, Schlic-town. We miss you dearly in 301. Your replacement is an....to put it nicely....interesting guy.

    I bet the guys are anxious as all heck to get the games started. Let's do some work Stangs!!!!

    ReplyDelete